Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Homeless in Oklahoma City: James

James of Oklahoma City, OK


As I shot pictures of a large fountain spraying water into the sun, I watched James drifting across the park. He had a brown hat pulled down over his eyes and walked slowly, looking at the ground in front of him.

When he was near, I spoke, startling him. We talked for a while about nothing in particular, and I asked where he was headed. He said he was walking to a small community about 20 miles east of Oklahoma City. I asked if I could buy him a bus ride, and he smiled, said that would help. I gave him bus fare and asked if I could take his picture. He agreed, but wanted to know why. I told him he looked like my favorite blues guitarist, Luther Allison.


James walked off and waited at the bus stop on the edge of the park until the bus pulled up.