Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Homeless in Oklahoma City, OK: Conway

Words and Images by Al Griffin

Striding with a purpose, Conway came across the plaza carrying his entire world on his back. Since I stood in his direct path, he slowed to nod when I spoke. When I reached out my hand to shake. he grinned and shook hands enthusiastically. Conway said he was on his way to catch a bus, hoping to find better opportunities farther North. 

Conway reminded me of another homeless man I met years ago. Both are tall, dignified looking with interesting faces.

The only thing I know for sure about Conway based upon our brief encounter is that he needed to get to this bus quickly before it pulled out from the terminal a few blocks away. This bus would carry him to better times. The next one might not do that.


The thing I know about Conway is that he needed that bus. The thing I believe about Conway is that he looks forward and out, not down and in. He seemed to have hope, and that is a good thing.

**********

Note: This blog will retire at the end of 2014. We are grateful to those of you who have read posts and especially grateful to those of you who've commented or liked these posts. Look for Al Griffin's thoughts and images about homelessness in the U. S. on Google+. Connye Griffin continues to write and critique at MyWriting and Editing Coach on Blogspot.