Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Homeless in Oklahoma City, OK: Corey

Words and Images by Al Griffin



Without a doubt, the most upbeat person I have ever met on the streets is Corey. He just bubbled all the time. Even before I approached him, I could see his wide smile across the parking lot as I parked my car.

When I asked him how he was doing, he couldn’t wait to tell me he was doing very well indeed. My first impression of Corey was that somewhere soon somebody was going to be very fortunate to have him in the workforce. I think Corey will bring the enthusiasm and outgoing style to any workplace that hires him.

He talked about living on the street and the difficulties of day-to-day existence but he never acted like it got him down. He always ended every story with a note of triumph about how he overcame the situation and moved on with life. 

When I look back on all the homeless persons with whom I have visited, I think Corey is the one most likely to succeed in moving up and out of the street life. That kind of enthusiasm and confidence spreads and brings others up for the brief time he comes into their lives.

I hope he succeeds and hope also that he can give a little of that positive outlook to others.





**********

Note: This blog will retire at the end of 2014. We are grateful to those of you who have read posts and especially grateful to those of you who've commented or like these posts. Look for Al Griffin's thoughts and images about homelessness in the U. S. on Google+. Connye Griffin continues to write and critique at My Writing and Editing Coach on Blogspot.